Class Constitution

Class Constitution

PLAGIARISM: Contract grading is based on doing your own work. Since I am not grading quality and only looking at quantity, there is no reason that you need to copy other people’s work. Do your best as long, and as you follow the prompt and attempt to implement what we’ve learned, then you’ll earn the grade you want.

Since the grading policy is very generous to students, I will not tolerate plagiarism under any circumstances.

I will fail students for the semester for one instance of plagiarism.

You can read about the CCNY plagiarism policy here:

http://www1.ccny.cuny.edu/current/upload/Academic-Integrity-Policy.pdf.

To explain briefly, plagiarism includes:

• Copying someone else’s words without putting them in quotation marks with proper attribution
  • Paraphrasing someone else’s words without proper attribution
  • Taking someone’s ideas without proper attribution

If I find even one instance of any of the above types of plagiarism in your texts, I will fail you.

There is another type of plagiarism you must be aware of for this class: self-plagiarism. Self-plagiarism is when you take ideas or words you have used in other papers and reuse them without proper attribution.

Since Professor Sedghi and I are asking you to work on similar topics, this could be real problem.

I have no problem with you writing on the same topic for my class and Professor Sedghi’s class. If you do, just let us both know you are using the same topic, and we’ll work with you to make sure you’re not self-plagiarizing.

If you don’t let me know and work with me to make sure you’re not self-plagiarizing, you’ll be open to plagiarism changes and in danger of failing of the class.

ATTENDANCE: Attendance is part of your grade. You can miss two or fewer classes to get an A; three or fewer for B; four or fewer for a C; and five or fewer for a D.

You can get excused from a class by contacting me ahead of time. Email me ahead of time with a good reason for missing class (you can be vague if it is personal), and perhaps we can work together to provide some makeup work. There is no guarantee, however, that I’ll grant you an excused absence. Excused absences won’t count against your grade.

LATENESS POLICY: You must be on time to class. If you are more than 20 minutes late to class three times, I will count that as one unexcused absence.

ELECTRONIC POLICY: Laptops, tablets, and phones are valid educational tools. I encourage you to use them in class to follow along with readings, conduct research, or write.

Sometimes, however, you will also need pen and paper for collected in class writing.

If electronics become too distracting this policy might change.

STRETCHING BREAKS: Since class is so long, we are going to break it up with stretching breaks.

I plan on having two stretching breaks per class and one break during which you can use the bathroom, get a snack, or check your phones.

In the past students have appreciated being able to stretch. Stretching has positive benefits for physical, mental, and emotional health.

I like students to lead stretches according to a sign up sheet we’ll create together. We’ll have two students lead two different stretches each day.

Of course, this isn’t gym class, and I don’t want anyone getting hurt. Therefore only participate in stretching as much as you can.

You know your body, so don’t do anything that would hurt you. I want everyone to have a chance to get the blood flowing and get a chance to get clearheaded for more learning.

FOOD & DRINKS: As long as the food and drink aren’t distracting, feel free to eat in class. This could change if it becomes too messy or distracting.